College Graduation

This is a busy time of year for everyone, myself included. It has been crazy at home. My youngest is getting ready to graduate from high school and has chosen a great college to attend this fall-- The University of Virginia.  That has been quite hard decision for him. Bill and I lived in Charlottesville for three years and it is beautiful there.  We are all very excited. He almost went to Emory, from where his older brother just graduated last weekend.  The whole family went to Atlanta for the ceremonies for 4 days and it was a lot of fun.  I cried.  Why do moms do that? We are so happy we cry?  What sense does that make? But I kept seeing a little blond boy up there sucking his thumb and pulling at his ear. That is all I could think about!

Now that Wyatt's graduation is over and Jake's is not here yet, I have been cooking up a storm!  Connie and I did a HUGE tea for the Early Childhood Alliance.  It was a French Tea and we really stayed true to the French theme. Three days later (today), I did a tea for my friend and a club she is in. I made some of my favorite dishes for her. Two hours before I was to deliver all of it, catastrophe struck.  I realized the butterfly shaped Linzer cookies did not match up.  Arruuugggh! I thought I used the same cutter for the top and bottom, but I had not!  So when I went to assemble them, I was enveloped in culinary terror.  Luckily, I had made a large batch of shortbread dough ,the cookie dough I use for these cookies, the night before and had not frozen it yet.  I actually do not know why I made it, but thought it might come in handy soon. I tell you, I have never cut out cookies so fast in my life!  I was a machine. (If I worked this fast all the time, it would be fantastic.) But, the saga is not over yet. I put them in the oven and after a few minutes, my oven absolutely STOPPED working.  Just stopped. Then the control panel began flashing a secret code at me that is known only to the oven devils laughing at us down below. Thank heaven, and my sweet husband, I have another two ovens.  I quickly turned them on.  Of course, I had to wait for them to pre- heat, which took about 10 minutes but felt like 10 hours, but it all worked out and came off great, but only after burning a giant streak across my arm. I think I must have stressed off about 5 years of my life!

So if you see a happily crying, suddenly 5 years older woman wandering aimlessly around, c'est moi.